Looks like it will be Chicago heading to Washington to play the Caps in the Winter Classic… the leading Venue is Nationals Park which would be unreal… I can’t wait to see the Caps get shitstomped to kick off the new year!
PuckDocktor – Once upon a time a friend of my family was commissioned to be the graphic artist for Wayne Gretzky Hockey by Bethesda Softworks. Not realizing the magnitude of the situation, or the possibility of venturing into the world of software creation all my 14-year-old brain could muster was, “Cool.”
26 years later the world of video games has changed immeasurably. Remember folks, Marty McFly was supposed to be time travelling to 2015 back in those days. We still don’t have the flying cars or hoverboards, but by golly we’ve got some virtual reality and gaming like we’ve never seen before.
There is no arguing that EA Sports is the king of the gaming software. The Madden football franchise alone dominates like no other sports games in history. It’s because of Madden’s initial success that the brand was able to branch out and tackle (pun intended) all of our other favorite sports. FIFA soccer/football now rivals Madden on the global scale as the world’s most popular sport can be played virtually on any gaming system.
My favorite has always been the NHL series. Since the Sega Genesis days, my calendar has always been marked with the latest EA Sports release of their hockey game. This year’s entry drops on September 11, and promises to be the best game to date. Well, of course it does. Were you expecting to hear EA tout this year’s version as “comparable to last year’s game, but the graphics are a little choppier and the game tends to freeze?” Probably not the best marketing strategy, eh?
Usually I’ll read up or look at trailers or even play the demo. This year I decided to throw caution to the wind, give EA the benefit of the doubt (I think they’ve earned it) and just buy the game sight unseen. They have only disappointed me once before (2008) and I’m going to assume that there have been upgrades.
So that brings me to the point of these words. There are certain things I want in the game that have to eventually get done. I will list them for you, and tell you why they are important to me.
1. Playoff beards-The NHL 2K series added them to one of their games and it would make sense as beards would fill in come playoff time. The attention to detail would mean that Crosby could only grow the porn-stache and Toews, the mutton chops.
2. Zambonis– Do I have to explain why? Who doesn’t love a zamboni? Especially if you had someone launching t-shirts off of one.
3. More accurate goal horns/songs– They are moving closer to this, and I’m not sure if they have made the adjustment, but I know in NHL 12 not all the horns were accurate.
4. Adjust the fighting– There needs to just be a “drop the gloves” button where you can pick a fight with someone after a stoppage. At least have an option for it that can be adjusted. Who wouldn’t go after Crosby or Lucic if they had the chance? Also, wouldn’t hurt to throw in some blood. Make that an option so you don’t have to adjust the rating. Another footnote. Every fight does not require a knockout, in fact KO’s are pretty rare.
5. Mullets-It’s not hockey if you can’t slap a mullet on any player.
6. Incorporate TSN into the game somehow – It doesn’t have to be a full fledged studio show. Just make sure Pierre McGuire is in no way involved. Please!
7. More coach involvement--Cut away to the coach after a goal or a penalty. Also would be nice to fire a coach if you don’t like him.
8. Octopi– Fans in specific arenas throw team appropriate items onto the ice. The Red Wings octopus is a huge tradition. Nashville has emulated by chucking catfish onto the ice. Rats in Florida. Human limbs in Philly, you get the idea.
9. Referees – It’s a detail thing, but it would be nice to have the referees take a larger role, especially when breaking up a fight.
10. Stanley Cup celebration – C’mon for Pete’s sake you just won the Stanley Cup! How about an on ice celebration where you can skate around with the cup for a little bit? Let the crowd go crazy(if it’s a home win) and soak in the moment.
This Guy absolutely Nailed it, 100 percent.. things I have noticed but not given enough thought. Tell me you wouldn’t be playing Tournament mode a whole lot more if you knew you could celebrate on ice or Drive a Zamboni and launch shirts into the crowd, its like NHL meets “Twisted Metal”. The fighting also, they need to step it up…give it full functionality let it go the distance not a few pumps and your done. bloody it up. Im not saying Cam Neely vs Shayne Corson, but C’mon man spice it up a little.